Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 3: A book I love

The Five People You Meet In Heaven

Why? For my cousin.

My Dad moved to the United States for work to try and give us, his family, a better life. Leaving my Mom, my younger sister, and I in the Philippines. So growing up I never really had a father around to look up to, but my cousin was there to fill the gap. He was the coolest kid around, the one everyone knew, the one everyone loved. He got all the girls and just had so much swag. Yes, I said swag.

Anyways I always looked up to him, I idolized him. He was the one I went to when I was in trouble, actually being the oldest cousin he was the one everyone went to whenever anyone got into trouble. Family was always his priority. He did anything and everything he felt like doing, dealing with consequences were an after thought. That was one of the main traits I always envied about him. On top of all of that, he was one of the nicest people I know. He will take the shirt off his back and give it to you without hesitation.

One of his friends even told me a story, that when my cousin left the Philippines to join the US Navy, he boarded the plane with just a backpack wearing a tank top, shorts, and sandals. All because he gave all of his possessions away! I cant say enough about him. I can go on forever and it wont even get close to show how great of a person he is.

Sadly, a few years ago he passed away. It broke me, I still really can't talk about it to this day. I miss him so much and if wishes did come true I would really like to see him again. Share a drink or two and talk about all the mischief we got into growing up. I know that one day that wish will come true. I also know that you never really know what life will throw at you and there is a big chance I will be losing more of the important people in my life and when they do, this book gives me hope that Ill see those people again.
"Fairness does not govern life and death. If it did, no good person would ever die young."

No comments: