Monday, August 15, 2011

New York!

We're finally here!

It took a lot of planning and even more hard work, but we made it. It's still surreal that I'm now 3000 miles away from home. I give it a few more days to finally hit me. So far it's a lot of walking, getting lost, exploring, and taking in so much it's a bit overwhelming, but it's pretty damn awesome.

We're currently on the unemployment train and still waiting for our stop to a place to live in. This is giving me plenty of time to relax and get everything in order. I know things are going to work out so I'm being patient, but I'm hoping to settle in our place soon so we can really start, start living our lives in this new and exciting place.

Here are some pictures:
Thank you Jannelle for the awesome cupcakes! Also thanks to everyone who came out to our goodbye shindig. Everyone that mattered to my life were there and Im truly happy for you guys being in my life. I hope to see you guys here in the near future. You guys will always have a place to stay in. Just give me time to find myself my own place to stay in first. haha
Last sunset in California
Somewhere in the clouds.
First view of New York
Finally reunited with this guy! He's not mine but I missed him. Im pretty happy to be have him snuggling up on me in the middle of the night or licking my hair to wake me up when my alarm goes off in the morning.

Subways are damn confusing. Getting the hang of it though.
Uptown? Downtown? Which town again?
All up in my armpit
Best halal you will ever have in your life. Guaranteed.
The Empire State.

Moving to New York was the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. I've put myself through a month of work with no days off, working 3 jobs at one point, and working a full weeks worth in just a couple of days to be able to save enough money to do this. I left a job that I love, my friends, but most of all my family.

This decision wasn't an easy one, but it was made because of a series of events, events that didn't go my way and at times has put me in some of the lowest points of my life. But those same events made me stronger (pardon the cliche), made me hungry, made me want more, and gave me the motivation and drive to be more.

More. Not more money but more as a person. To experience new experiences, to take in new cultures, taste new food, and learn life lessons. I want to grow old and be able to talk about the things I've done, the places I've been, the amazing views my eyes have seen.

I want to show my parents that they've raised a good son. That all of their hard work, their patience, all those years of putting up with my crazy antics were worth it. I could tell them that they've taught me manners, morals, and instilled in me determination, hard work, responsibility and countless other traits to be used for tools to success. I could tell them that I appreciate all of the things that they have done for me, I want to make them proud. But you know what, I would rather show them. That's what I'm doing.

Most of all, I want to show my little brother and sister that there is a whole world outside of "home." I could sit them down and tell them that they can do whatever the hell they want to do. Tell them that you can be whatever you want to be. I want to tell them to step out of their comfort zone. I want tell them that they can make their own options and explore those same options, but more importantly to explore the world. I want to tell them that hard work will always take you places. But I would rather show them. That's what I'm doing.

I want this move to make me a better son. To make me a better brother. To make me a better person. That's what I'm striving for.

P.S. It's a whole lot better than living at home leeching off your parents' money. Just sayin'

1 comment:

yoshi said...

=) good for you... welcome to NY