Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bay to LA: Day 1

Allright. Im back from my trip. Biked all the way down to Los Angeles, well actually all the way down to Long Beach. Took us 5 days and almost 600 miles of riding. My body is now recovered and Im trying to gain the 14 pounds that I lost on the trip. So here is a recap.

Day 1

Left an hour later than we planned cause Jeff was lagging which would be an everyday thing during this trip.


Somewhere in San Jose
Had to ride on this rocky path to get to out of Los Gatos. These guys had to walk their bikes cause their bikes were too heavy to ride up the steep hill with all of their gear.
Here we are riding next to Highway 17. We had a hell of a time finding this road. We had to ride on this dirt path for about had a mile. We were even contemplating of crossing the freeway but we managed.


Riding through the Santa Cruz mountains.


Reached our destination point. Capitola. Then Tommy got a flat.
Couldnt check into the campsite till later in the afternoon so we stuffed ourselves with some mexican food.
This is our campsite. Specifically just for bikes.
See those sleeping bags behind Tommy? That was our bedroom. I was freezing!
Had some fun collecting all these little timbers and dried grass to make some fire later.

The view.
New Brighton State Beach.
We bought some hotdogs for dinner but we didnt have a pan or skewers to cook them on. So we took twigs and made some ourselves. The hotdogs turned out really really good, but maybe because we just rode 80 miles.


I was also craving some tea so I went ahead and cut up my Fosters can and dropped it in the coal.
and it worked!
Total miles for the day was about 80 miles. Rode around the town for a bit. Took some nyquil to help me sleep but I kept waking up through the night cause the sleeping bag I bought didnt work very well in keeping me warm. I slept with 4 jackets on! But yea. very good first day. Day 2 tomorrow.

No comments: