Monday, July 19, 2010

Grandpa's Slingshot

A little break from my days in the Philippines.

But while I was down there, I was looking for slingshots. I havent shot one in 12 years. As I was talking to my Uncle about where to find them he then told me that my Grandpa had a slingshot that was made by my Grandpa's cousin carved out of wood using broken glass. My Grandpa got this slingshot when he was just 13 years old and now he is 74 making it 61 years old.has given him a slingshot before leaving for Guam 20 or so years ago.

Since receiving it, my Uncle has kept it for safe keeping and he decided to hand it down to me. Here it is. Almost 3 times my age.
Before I left the Philippines I decided that I was going to give this slingshot another life. So I went and bought the materials I would need to put this baby back together. I had to get rubber and the leather part to put the stones in. Here are all of the materials I used.
I didnt have any long rubber bands so I took one of my old tubes for my bike tires and cut it.
cut it down the middle.
and I then cut 2 skinny strips of it.
Sorry I didnt get to take more pictures of the process. I had to use both hands to properly tie it down and it was very difficult. My fingers are now sore. But here is the final product.


Now time to shoot something.

No comments: