Saturday, December 5, 2009

Goodbye Kaiser. Hello Winterbreak.

Yes. I am still alive. Sorry for the update-less week. Ive been busy getting some school stuff sorted out and what not.

But as of 2 p.m. today, I gladly announce that I am officially on winterbreak. It was my last day interning at Kaiser-Hayward. The past 10 weeks of my life was spent there. 3-4 days a week caring for patients, learning new skills, and trying to refine ones I already know. Each and every single day I felt like I was actually doing something worthwhile and that was a whole 180 degree turn from last year. The repetitive assignments, a midterm every 2 and a half weeks and a final every 5, spending 3-4 hours a night doing paperwork, and getting a mere 2-3 hours of sleep everynight. I am so happy to see that all that hardwork did not go to waste.

But I must say that even though I got a great final evaluation and it feels great to be stress free for a whole month, I was pretty sad leaving that floor. The nurses were great. They treated us students like their kids and some even referred to us as their children. Each and everyone of them were always there to help us, show us new situations, test our knowledge, and perform procedures that we werent even allowed to get close to last year. I will definitely make the walk to the hospital to visit. It is across the street. haha

and as a thank you to all of them. We gathered what very little money us poor college students have and brought them some food.





Now meet my preceptor. Ms. Marites. As a preceptor, I could not have asked for more. She might be little but dont let that fool you. She is so smart. She rarely writes things down but manages to remember everything. The first few weeks she left me and awe most of the time from the way she handled patient interactions to the how freaking fast she does anything and everything. I had a hard time keeping up, even her walking is fast, most of the time Im running to catch up to her. She keeps her composure no matter what and not once did I see her panic.

Not only that. But she is hella chill. She let me get so many days off. I didnt even go in the hospital during my birthday week. How cool is that? and when Im falling asleep while charting she sits there, laughs at me, and then she proceeds to tell me to wake up. One time I was 2 and a half hours late and she was totally cool with it. But I just want to say thank you once again. Working with you really made me feel like I made the right choice for my career. I hope Ill be able to work with you again in the future. SO. GET ME A JOB!! please.
After leaving the hospital. Went to school to drop of some final papers. Hung out with Krystle and Leah. Met up with Ryan and Mike. Had pho, perfect for this freezing weather and then we continued to freeze our asses off at Paddys. I really hate low my funds are. Its getting harder and harder to find things to do without spending money. But oh well. Gotta make the most out of it.



Oh. And Ive gotten pretty damn good at inserting IVs in people. So if you ever want one for any reason at all. Hollaaa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good stuff man.

CHRIS said...

wooohooo congrats!!

lumiere said...

next time i'm hungover i'm calling you up for an iv hahaha

Kenneth said...

time sure does fly.