Sunday, March 6, 2011

Nursing

I remember being a senior in high school and trying to decide which path to take once I graduated. I had the choice of going to a major UC or settle in a state school. With all the hard work I put in throughout high school which landed me in the top 2% of my class and with a long list of AP and Honors classes under my belt, going to a UC would have been the "right" choice. But that would have meant moving away, spending a ton of money, not knowing what to major in, and coming out of school with a bunch of loans to pay off.

Because of all the above, my Mom, being the practical one, approached me with the idea of staying at home and just settling for a state school. This way I would be able to be there for my siblings as they grew up, spend time with my grandparents, and my Mom and I could help each other with books and tuition expenses.

That led me to think real hard with what I could do with myself at a state school. I wanted to come out of college with a respectable profession that would allow me to support myself and my family and at the same time didn't require me to be in school for 6-10 years. I wanted to get in and get out as soon as possible to help my parents with expenses so they can go on and enjoy their lives.

That's the main reason that led me to choose nursing. I know there's the typical the whole wanting to do good and help others being the primary excuse to go into the profession, but 80% of the people that would tell you that would be lying. Nursing has attracted so many people for all the wrong intentions.

Thats just one of the many reasons why my outlook on nursing has been tarnished throughout the years. Sure making tons of money, having nice cars, living in big houses, traveling the world, and living the good life is great. But all those material things can only take you so far. You gotta go into it because you love it.

Which is why I am so grateful of my new job. Not only do I get an office, a personal computer, a cellphone, benefits, and awesome co-workers. But most of all I get to be around all these happy kids all day. Being in an environment where innocence is still present and the worries of adult life is non existent, you can't help but smile. I can wake up in the morning and look forward to working. I'm also in a position to make an impact on these kid's lives and that's what I intend to do. I just hope the state puts in more funds into the school district so no one else gets laid off, cause I love what I do.

No comments: