Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hayward->Berkeley (and back)

After picking up my cap and gown from school today. I decided to go for a ride to Berkeley. But before I go on about the rest of my day Im gonna talk about the highlight of my day: Getting pulled over by a cop for running a red light.

Heres the story.
I was trying to beat this yellow but right when I get to the crosswalk it turns red on me and on my right is a cop car waiting at the light. (just my luck) He turns right away and yells at me to pull over and I do. He gets out real mad and yelling at me to get off my bike and hand him my license. At this point Im getting pretty damn scared cause my friend Alex got a ticket a month or so ago and it was $500! I dont have that money! He then pulls out that booklet for writing tickets. Now Im practically begging him to not give me a ticket.

Then we have this conversation:
Cop: Give me a reason why I shouldnt give you a ticket.
Me: Cause I dont have the money to pay for it.
Cop: First of all you ran the red. You have no brakes on your bike and the tire doesnt count. Then you have an earphone on and youre suppose to have both ears open driving or riding a bike.
Me: I understand...
Cop: Well, what are you listening to?
Me: Uhh.. Kid Cudi...
Cop: Oh. Allright. Well next time.... he proceeds to give me a 5-10 minute lecture on what I should and shouldnt do while riding a bike and we also got to talking bikes and that he rides bikes too.

Ahhhh saved!
But anyways. enough of that.

Met up with Ramiro in the beginning but he called it quits once we hit San Leandro. (sorry dude). Once there met up with Vince and Eric. From there rode through Alameda, Oakland, and eventually got to Berkeley.
We were hungry from the ride and we decided to hit up Brazil Cafe. Best tri-tip sandwich in town. So good that all 3 of us ordered it. Ryan and Erica met us up and later on Jenny came.


After eating we grabbed some brews and Eric showed us to this really chill park hidden within the Berkeley neighborhoods. Nice little spot, theres a chimney in the middle of the park. Random right? I didnt get a picture but ill make sure to come back and take one.

After that Alex came by and we started riding off to Hayward and that when I got pulled over by the cop.

and heres a bonus. Eric got into a bike accident a couple weeks ago and showed me the aftermath. Hes all healed up now with just a few scars on his face. Hes healing up real fast and back on the bike!

Good ride today. My total came up to a little under 60 miles on the saddle and my legs arent sore. So I guess thats a good thing!

2 comments:

CHRIS said...

duuuude be careful out there!

hobo said...

lucky! can you imagine if the cop was a fan of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, before their signing with Warner bros obviously, aw man i don't even want to think about it. so scary