Friday, February 6, 2009

bye surgical.

Today was my last in the surgical rotation. Definitely one, if not, the best rotation in this nursing program. Learned so much and I was able to do way more than before. And plus our teacher is great. Hella everyone's favorite. Mary!
Sadly our teacher couldn't make it out to lunch. But after me and my classmates went and grabbed some food.



Always bittersweet ending a clinical. Like today; I had a 94 year old patient with a gastrointestinal bleed and had to undergo a colectomy to repair it. This lady was so skinny and weak, she could barely speak. I basically stood by her bedside for my whole 6 hour shift. Feeding her, changing her bed and clothes, bed bath, giving medications, blood sugar checks etc, I even got to make laugh a few times. All the way through I kept checking up and talking to her, doing as much as I can do. Everytime she would get a shot, blood drawm, or be moved, or when she was in pain she would just hold my hand. She was so sweet and nice.

But the saddest and hardest part of the day was when I finished my shift and charted all of my findings, I went to her room to say goodbye. When I got there she woke up and I started thanking her and just saying how nice it was to have her as a patient and unfortunately I had to go. She just took my hand and held it really tight and said in a very low weak voice "Thank you so much." I told her she was welcome and I hope that she gets better. But everytime I would say bye she would just hold my hand even tighter and she would thank me all over again. This just made it so hard to leave. If I could I would have stayed but my teacher would not allow that. As I was leaving she just kept waving. I really hope she gets better. She is one of the best patients that I have had so far and these kinds of situations makes me feel so much better that I chose nursing as my career.

1 comment:

jas said...

i feel just the same. :)