Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy

I got to spend today in the Operating Room. One surgery I got to stand in and watch was a laparoscopic cholecystectomy on this filipino lady that had a swollen gallbladder because of a gallstone. This surgery is pretty cool because they dont even really open you up. They make 4 holes in your stomach, one of those inflating your stomach with CO2 so they can get a better view. The other holes were for a camera/light, a sauder and a scissor/tongs to take the gallbladder out. The whole operation is watched through a tv. But the best part about today's surgery was that the doctor let me cut open the gallbladder. I got to inspect it and take the gallstone out. Definitely one of my better clinical days.

1 comment:

CHRIS said...

definitely more fun than anything i've done at law school. im jealous.